Do you want to learn how to post multiple photos on Instagram? So do most content creators that want to improve their content performance.
Throughout the years, it has been proven that Instagram carousels can generate more engagement than posts containing only one image or video. So, if you still haven’t used carousels as part of your Instagram content strategy, we’ve got you covered.
In this article, we are going to answer the following questions:
- What are carousel posts?
- How can you post multiple photos on Instagram in a single Instagram post?
- Why do carousels generate more engagement than other types of posts?
- What Instagram ideas you should try for your brand for better results?
Diversify your social content strategy with over 500 engaging post ideas.
What Is an Instagram Carousel?
An Instagram carousel is a post that contains more than one photo or video and it allows you to share multiple images at once without sharing each photo individually as a separate post.
But how many photos can you add to an Instagram carousel? You can add up to ten photos or videos to one Instagram post, and your audience can swipe left or right to see them all.
There are three main elements that differentiate an Instagram carousel post from a regular post:
- The multiple photo icon (photo sticker icon) that showcases the number of slides in the upper right corner when viewed on the homepage
- The small dots underneath the post
- The white gallery Instagram icon from the upper right corner when visiting the business page
The first photo in the carousel will determine what the rest of your photo gallery will look like. So if all the images are of the same size, you are good, if not, you might want to resize some images to make sure your carousel is consistent.
Maintaining a coherent style across all images you are going to add to an Instagram carousel is a breeze if you edit them with identical Instagram Photoshop actions.
|PRO TIP: The recommended resolution for a carousel is 1080 x 1080 px.|
How to Share Multiple Photos on Instagram
Now that we’ve gone through the basics of Instagram carousels, it’s time to get into the more practical side of things.
To post multiple images on Instagram you have to:
- Click the Plus sign found in the upper right corner of your Instagram app.
- Click on the Gallery icon to select and upload all the photos you want from your camera roll (up to 10). Keep in mind that the first photo you select will be the one shown to Instagram users.
- Click on the Next button and your carousel post is ready to be edited.
You can apply a filter to each individual picture and adjust your carousels to fit your own Instagram aesthetic feed. Then, like in the case of any Instagram post, you can add your Instagram caption, tag Instagram users, or add a location.
Carousel posts are available in SocialBee too—you can post up to 10 images, upload multiple videos, or a mix of both.
Create Instagram carousels from SocialBee and take advantage of the benefits of simple scheduling for your Instagram feed.
Share Instagram Carousels with SocialBee!
How to Use Instagram’s Layout Feature
Instagram has a feature called Layout that allows users to add photos to an Instagram post without creating multiple slides or Stories, but rather by creating a collage.
Here is how to layer multiple photos in the same Story:
- Download the Layout app and open it
- Start selecting multiple photos from your smartphone’s album that you want to include in your post/Story
- Choose the collage format you like the most
- Tap “Save” from the right-upper corner
- Select Instagram
- Choose between “Stories” and “Feed”
- Finalize the posting on the Instagram app
How to Add Multiple Photos to One Instagram Story
Posting multiple photos to Instagram is also possible on Instagram stories. So, if you want to share multiple photos without messing with your Instagram grid, then choose the story format for the job.
Here is how to add multiple pictures to one story on Instagram:
- Open Instagram
- Click on the plus sign on the top right corner of your screen and choose “Story.”
- Tap on “Select” and select multiple photos you want to post from your gallery.
- Edit your visuals by adding a photo sticker, and other effects you might want to include as part of your Instagram story.
- Choose how you want to post your story (Your Story, Close friends, or Message) and tap share.
Did You Know that You Can Post Instagram Stories with SocialBee?
Posting Reels and Stories can now be done directly from SocialBee so you can plan your content in advance and not worry about sticking to a consistent posting schedule.
Here is how you can share Instagram Stories with SocialBee:
- Choose a content category
- Click on “Add post to this category”
- Once you have entered the Post Editor, make sure to have Instagram selected
- Click the “Customize for each profile” button
- Select the type of post you’d like to publish (Feed post, Reel, Story)
- Upload your Story content
- Save your post as “Approved”
Instagram Carousels and Engagement
Are carousel posts better for engagement?
Well, yes. Carousel posts are better for engagement than any other type of Instagram content. In fact, a recent study has demonstrated, that a post on Instagram that contains several photos tends to have more success than one that contains only one photo or video. This comes from the analysis of more than 22 million posts, and around 3 million carousel posts.
Mixing multiple photos and videos in your carousel also generates a higher engagement rate, the number standing at 2.33%. However, if your business doesn’t want to mix the content types, multiple videos tend to generate a higher engagement rate than multiple photos.
Why Do Instagram Carousels Drive More Engagement?
Truth be told, it’s a matter of curiosity and attention span. A higher number of slides can make your audience more curious. Thus, it drives them to swipe to find out more about the subject you’re covering in your carousel.
Also, a CTA that sounds like “Swipe left to find out more” can influence your audience, so don’t be afraid to try it out. It can also keep their attention for more time, as each slide could bring new information that could be of interest.
However, just adding multiple photos and videos to your Instagram page won’t drive engagement alone. You also need quality content to create the perfect Instagram carousels. Your content needs to be in line with the rest of your Instagram aesthetic, so make sure all your slides follow the same pattern and design.
How to Schedule Instagram Carousels for Better Reach and Engagement
To do so, you can an Instagram scheduler that will help you create, publish and monitor your content performance: SocialBee.
Once you connect your Instagram account to SocialBee, you will have access to amazing content creation and distribution features, such as:
- Content categories: Organize your Instagram posts in different topic categories and schedule them alternatively to create a more diverse and interesting posting pattern.
- Instagram first comment: Schedule and post the first comment under your posts. Add your hashtags and more info to avoid overcrowding your caption.
- Tags & mentions: Tag other users, and add location tags directly from SocialBee.
- Hashtag collections: Keep your hashtags organized in collections for any occasion and add them to your posts with two clicks.
- Grid preview: Make sure you stay true to your Instagram aesthetic by vizualizing how your future posts will look on your Instagram grid even before publishing them.
- Instagram analytics: Keep track of your Instagram account growth, audience demographics, post reach and engagement, and more from SocialBee’s analytics dashboard.
- Unsplash and GIPHY integration: Curate the perfect images and GIFs for your social media posts.
- Canva integration: Create your Instagram visuals with Canva directly from SocialBee.
Design and import your social media graphics from Canva directly from SocialBee.
Instagram Carousel Ideas & Examples
Now you know how to upload multiple photos and videos on Instagram, but do you know how to use them in a format that will drive more engagement?
Here are our top ideas to create your own engaging carousel posts on Instagram:
- New Products
- Before and After
- Step by Step
- Customer Reviews
- Brand Storytelling
1. New Products
If your business has launched a new series of products, you can take advantage of that. You can post multiple photos on Instagram showcasing the whole collection in all its glory.
Instead of making separate posts for each product, you can squeeze multiple photos into an Instagram carousel and drive more engagement. This way, you will also avoid spamming your audience with multiple promotional posts.
For instance, let’s say that the new product you’ve launched comes in different color versions. Instead of creating a single post for each version, you could add multiple images to one post, to showcase all the colors.
Maybe you can pair the new product with different accessories and create a carousel post that promotes multiple products while providing valuable fashion advice at the same time.
Showcasing product usage or product details are other ideas that are worth incorporating in Instagram posts, especially carousel ones. Choosing to post multiple pictures in a carousel can provide your audience with a better understanding of your products, in a visual way too.
2. Before and After
Posting on Instagram a transformation of any kind through multiple pictures is an easy way of catching the attention of your audience.
A before and after concept requires at least two pictures and what better way to post them than through a carousel-type of post? A before and after type of post is suitable for any type of business.
If your business concentrates on selling skincare products, a before and after photo gallery is a great way to drive more engagement. That is because you can show the benefits your products have had for your clients. It’s also a great way to share user-generated content.
If your business helps people change their food habits, a before and after of their diet change can also influence your audience.
Before and after posts containing multiple images not only drive more engagement, they also spike sales, so make sure you use this to your best advantage.
Want to post multiple photos on Instagram that showcase a process, but don’t want to do that separately?
An Instagram carousel is a great way to provide your audience with a step-by-step process, without the need to scroll up and down to follow the steps.
The easiest way to put together this type of post is by adding a specific action per slide. You can show your users how to use a specific feature of your product, as an example.
There is also the option of using tutorials, depending on the area of your expertise. Let’s say your business helps people decorate their houses in a chic way, while on a budget. You can put together a tutorial on how to make a homemade flower vase and post multiple pictures containing instructions and a video of the final result.
4. Customer Reviews
Do you have multiple positive reviews and testimonials you would like to share with your Instagram audience? Then carousels are the best way to go.
Edit your testimonials on top of a branded background and create an appreciation post for your customers while using their reviews as social proof.
As a result, you will establish yourself as a trustworthy brand and build credibility by showcasing the experience other customers had with your business.
5. Brand Storytelling
Storytelling is often used in marketing to get the attention of customers worldwide. Now add this content format to the carousel post structure, and you might discover a recipe for success.
And no, you don’t have to write an actual in-depth story just to make an Instagram post—it’s about giving shape and meaning to what you share with your audience.
But what are some ideas you can present as a carousel?
Well, once again, we made a list you can use as inspiration:
- Summarize your business journey from the beginning until now by using images, vector images and text.
- Introduce your team members by telling the story of how they got hired and how they evolved in your company.
- Tell the story of how your business idea came about.
- Describe the process of manufacturing your products.
- Talk about a challenging part of your business journey.
A great example of using storytelling and Instagram carousel posts comes from SocialBee.
The freelancer spotlight series showcases SocialBee’s talented professionals, and it follows their professional evolution within the company.
Start Sharing Multiple Images and Videos on Instagram
Nowadays, you can take full advantage of the carousel feature and present your products by using multiple photos. Along with that, you can do before and after posts and even provide tutorials, in just one post.
If you’ve decided that it’s time to share multiple images through your new post, you can create that perfect Instagram carousel with the help of SocialBee.
SocialBee offers a 14-day free trial and other features such as scheduling your posts, Instagram grid, or Instagram first comment.